Just in case you missed the other two parts of the Rorts Saga here is Part 1. Which is the Community Sports infrastructure scheme.
That went through $100 Million dollars and Labor electorates (68 seats) got 31.54% of the value, The Coalition seats scored 61.58%
Following that little exercise, I then wrote Part 2, which was about 6 years of Community Development Grants.
This was 10 times as big and worth $1.1 Billion. Labor electorates (68 seats) were awarded 24.53% of the value and Coalition seats got 69.24%.
The National party which has 10 seats was awarded 12.8% for 10 seats and the LNP were given 20.08%. Those two parties together were awarded 32.88% and between them have 33 seats in the House of representatives.
Following these two analyses, I was then asked to do the same for the following Regional Grants programs
1/ Building Better Regions Fund Program – Infrastructure Projects Stream.
2/ Building Better Regions Fund Program – Community Investments Stream
3/ Stronger Communities Program.
These programs ran before the grants were consolidated into the GrantConnect Portal and for those before 2018, I downloaded their data from the Department of infrastructure web site.
The data for 2018 and 2019, I downloaded from the GrantConnect web portal.
The Total value for these programs over the years studied was $714 Million.
The results were as follows.
Once again there is a discrepancy in the distribution of the money.
Labor seats (68 of them) were allocated 21.66% of the total, whilst the coalition seats were allocated 72.95% of the total.
Again the 33 seats of the Nationals and LNP achieved a huge percentage of the take.
Labor Seats (68) averaged $2.2 million per seat
Nationals seats (10) averaged $12.9 Million per seat
LNP Seats (23) averaged $4.6 Million per seat
Liberals (44) averaged $10 AND
Independents seats (6) averaged $6.4
Now we must not forget that these grants are regional and that the definition of Regional is somewhat fluid.
Do we all remember the North Sydney Swimming pool and that definition of Regional?
So That brings us to three sets of analysis.
a. Community Sports Infrastructure Grants for $100Million
b. Community Development grants from 2013 to 2019 for $1.1Billion
c. 3 Regional grant Schemes (see above) for a value of $714Million
making a Grand total of $1.8 Billion.
In all 5 grant programs over 6 years and I have only scratched the surface.
In 2018 and 2019 there were 48,000 grants for a total value of $30 Billion.
If you are still wondering why the Coalition won the last election?, I think I might have an idea why. It might have something to do with funding, piggies and pork.
Pork Barrels, Liberals telling porkies, Greens telling porkies and an $80 million advertising plan from the Queensland porker.
If you are wondering why this isn’t about marginals and targeted seats, then just look at the amount of money flowing to The Nationals and LNP seats.
Of course the independent are kept happy by large Grants and so the Coalition seem assured of Confidence and supply.
Part 4 will wrap this up. It will finally answer decisively whether “they all do it”